Monday, November 24, 2008

Vintage Interior Door End Table

One of my favorite things to make are Door Tables. Sounds silly I know, but basically they are end tables, coffee tables, or (insert your use here) tables. They are made from doors that I salvage from Local buildings. Living in Maine they aren't hard to find. renovated houses, Barns, beach cottages, they all work.

The One I am about to walk through I actually had listed as a larger table. Someone requested that I shorten it, and they would buy. so I did, and they did. this is the other half. The trouble is, that when you take a 4 legged table and cut it in half, you do NOT have enough legs for both Tables. Which brings me to the "how I make my legs" section.


I do not carve the legs myself, I buy them pre-made, tags and all. While this isn't technically handmade, I love the shapes and sized I am able to use and It is all still natural wood. These legs actually require no sanding, they are ready to go straight from the store, which is nice as I can get started right away.

The first step is to decide on the finish. Since these legs were going on a table top that was already made, I knew it would be a J.Crabbit Custom Teal finish. This requires several steps, and plenty of time. In my custom teal finish I use several colors in layers. It is very important to allow each layer to dry completely before applying the next.

Finally I add the top coat of teal. As you can see the legs are neatly painted, not the signature distressed look. That comes next.

I run the Legs through my signature distressing technique. While its no secret how to make paint look old, I made this technique up om my own because I love the finish it puts onto a piece. once I am satisfied with the look I lightly dust them with a cloth and get ready for the final touch.


You can see that there is the prominent color of Teal, with the other colors showing lightly, and plenty of exposed wood. I apply a coat of low gloss polyurethane to protect the finish. I use low gloss so it doesn't look shiny and wet, that would rather defeat the "vintage" look. I love applying the poly because it really brings out the color of the wood. On the legs (where the wood is brand new) I know what it will look like, but the first time I apply the poly to the door itself, I am always amazed with the colors and shades that become visible.

I am letting these Dry for now. Tomorrow I will attach the Top and it will be listed at www.jcrabbit.etsy.com before the end of the week!

Thank for stopping by

~Mitch

1 comment: