Monday, January 20, 2014

1-4-3 means I love you

Do you remember pagers?

They were like cell phones,  except they didn't make calls, or play games, or.... ok so they really weren't like cell phones,  except that those who had them took them everywhere and it was a way to reach them.

Oh,  I know how to explain it better.  You know on Grey's Anatomy when they are about to get it on in the break room,  or there is an emotional moment about to be revealed at the bar,  when suddenly that little black box starts beeping?   THAT is a pager.

source
Well... the way it worked,  was you dialed the pager number,  then a second number which would appear on the pager screen.  In the case above could be a room number, or a medical code,  although I think theirs are probably more high tech.  So if you left your number,  the person with the pager would know to call you.  you could also page 911 to let someone know it is an emergency.

My favorite though was 143.  1 for I, 4 for Love, and 3 for you.  it is my favorite because even in the early days of wireless technology,  where we couldn't even send letters electronically,  but only numbers,  people were still finding a way to check in at random times to say I love you..

With the upcoming Valentine's Day holiday,  there will be a whole lot of I love you going around.  Cards, candy, flowers, stuffed bears with pink tutus.  And we will look at it and say thank you, display it for a week or 2 and then trash it.   Well,  compost the flowers, put the card in the recycling, and donate the bear.

This is where the Idea for a 1-4-3 sign came from.   They make a great gift,  because it is saying I love you in a creative fun way,  but it is also something that He or She can keep out, in the bedroom, living room, kitchen, cubicle,  or anywhere.   It is a conversation piece as well.  People will be sure to ask,  "What does that mean"? and you will be able to say,  "oh,  it means I love you,  so and so got it for me."



























So go get some flowers, and chocolate, but save the stuffed bear the humiliation of being the latest on a Goodwill shelf in 3 months,  and pick up a piece of hand made art that will light up your love life for years to come.

Happy Valentine's Day!

5 comments:

  1. Pagers! Never had one but I remember. It's reminds me of watching Lethal Weapon now, and they're on the scene of an accident and Danny Glover pulls out this 'cell' phone...............damn thing must weigh twenty pounds. Love the sign Mitch. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember that scene... my how technology has changed.

      Delete
  2. Technology sure has come a long way...wow!
    But I love the sign :) I love gifts that can be kept out all year long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, I really wanted to make something that wasnt too valentinesy, but still had the love theme.

      Delete